The Venture Co. RP Forum

For the RP Community of The Venture Co.

HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome, Horde and Alliance alike, to the Venture Co. Forums! Please please please invite all of your guild mates and any other RPer's you find, even new blood that have just joined WoW.

Share | 

Family business

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Magyk
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Family business   Thu May 13, 2010 10:42 am

Quote :
Dear Lord Dawnrunner,

Might I first thank you for your enquiry after my health. As you know I have been away, and rumours that I had fallen off this mortal coil were grossly over exaggerated. That said, I do not feel I am fully Sin’dorei any more. I know that other rumours about my activities have been spread, and I can tell you that the ludicrous is probably the most accurate. I have seen a great many things in my travels, but time itself...to wonder through the annals of history is both wonderful and terrible, and I now find myself haunted by images and visions of events from both past and future. But enough of that. I'm sure you will be more interested in the next paragraph.

Your Great-granddaughter, Eleni, has returned. I must apologise wholeheartedly when I say I did not mean to take her from her father's care, but knowing Arli, I can't help but wonder if it was the right thing to do. As her protector and guardian, I have given her an education that if I may so, is exemplary. As she has grown, she has become fluent in Thalassian and the frankly filthy tongue of the Orcs, and what little Common I learned in Dalaran. She knows of history, battle tactics, basic magical theory, mathematics and a little chemistry. I am ashamed to say that she has picked up skill in lockpicking, and her curious knack of brewing poisons has become something of concern. But then, given her parentage.... Her mother, as you must know, is Human. I believe, like Arli, she was an amateur assassin by trade. Eleni has often asked of her, and her father, and I felt it was my duty to tell her.

Eleni's future seems uncertain. Whilst your grandson sees fits to take her down the long spiral he is on, she has a great potential as a Magistrix. Arli's mother and your wife were two of the greatest Quel'thalas has produced in recent times, and it logically follows that Eleni too would follow in her grandmother's footsteps. Unfortunately, Arli is adamant that she will not learn magic. Nevertheless, I fully intend to teach her a few useful bits that will no doubt help in her activities in the Thorns.

Might I most humbly suggest you meet her soon? I have no doubt that she will see the wonders of Dawnrunner Spire and be tempted away from the path that has been forced upon her before it is too late...

Yours most humbly,
Magyk Sunwing, Duke of Duskwither

P.S. I must also apologise for an incident in Falconwing Square a few days ago, in which your great-grandson Marick's fiancé saw fit to challenge me to honourable combat. I have still to check she's alright.
Back to top Go down
arli

PostSubject: Re: Family business   Thu May 13, 2010 11:20 am

The family estate comes into view and I glance at Eleni in the sidecar. She avoids my look and stays silent. She hasn’t spoken to me since I announced she was to immediately pack a few things as she was to spend a few days at the Dawnrunner Estate and meet the family. I'm surprised at their sudden interest in her, after all they know her mother is human. But despite the twinge of guilt at putting her through this, part of me is glad of the peace and quiet at last. I am also glad she is away from that half-wit Talous for a few days. Only a special kind of idiot doesn't heed the warning I gave him first time around, the scar on his face should be a daily reminder to him at least.

As I slow the bike, I pull down my mask to avoid any potential mistaken identity from new guards; I learnt that lesson a few visits ago, and the associated costs of repairing my armour. They nod at me and start to open the gates, giving Eleni curious looks; “Daughter” I say, “not date”.

I park the bike outside the house, making sure I rev the engine a few times for effect, and jump off. “C’mon, don’t make me carry you in”, I grin at Eleni, who returns with a look that had it been on an older elf, would have had me reaching for my blades to protect myself. She delicately climbs out of the sidecar as I haul the two big cases she has packed; two elves quickly run over and take them from me, disappearing to the servant’s entrance at the side.

As we walk to the now opening front door, I mutter “Be nice” in a low voice, “drop dead” she hisses back without looking at me. “Take the mask off” I mutter back and she pulls her Thorn mask down angrily as we enter the hallway.

“Arlithion! Oh and you must be the lovely Eleni, so nice to meet you at last, I’m Naimen, your aunt!” enthuses Naimen, running over, as we are barely through the door. Naimen takes both of Eleni’s hands and with a beaming smile says “Let me look at you, oh you are so sin’dorei, hardly any human characteristics at all! Oh just delightful!”. Eleni looks back at Naimen with a slightly confused look, perhaps I should have warned her of the overbearing niceness of Naimen. “Oh we are going to have such a lovely few days!”, Eleni nods slightly, torn between smiling back or hating me more.

“Hmph, Arlithion” grumbles Grandfather as he strides from his study. I feel myself tense up as I nod back, Eleni steps back closer to me, her eyes widen as he strides towards us. I had told her about Grandfather, the punishments I received at his command, his sternness and how quick he was to anger and how she must show him respect or face the consequences.

“Sir, this is Eleni”. He gives me a withering look “Yes, I had worked that out for myself, you fool”. I nod slightly, reddening a little. Eleni moves closer to me and grabs my hand, not taking her eyes off Grandfather for one moment. He looks directly at Eleni for a few moments, she grips my hand tightly and looks ready to burst into tears. “er…say hello, Ele” I prompt, to fill the silence, nudging her slightly. “He..he…hello sir” she replies in a small voice.

Much to my surprise, his expression softens and he smiles at Eleni, “Call me Grandfather, I know, not technically correct but Great-Grandfather makes me feel so old, my dear”. He offers a hand, Eleni looks up at me then takes it and they shake, "A delight to meet you young lady, you so remind me of Candress, same beautiful fair hair", Eleni smiles back at him "Thank you, grandfather". I decide tactfully not to mention she has inherited the hair colour from her mother, not from my mother.

Naimen steps closer and puts her arm around Eleni's shoulder "Come Eleni, I'll show you your room. It's your room now for when you visit, we can go and buy some decorations for it to make it just how you want it to be!". Eleni looks up at me and I smile and nod at her "see you soon Ele", with that she turns and heads upstairs with Naimen, already discussing favourite colours for the room.

Grandfather turns to me, the smile is gone and replaced by his usual scowl. "My study, now" he growls, and with that he turns and strides down the hall. I reluctantly follow him, I'd hoped to just drop her off and get going but seems like I've a lecture to endure first.

He picks up a gilt edged piece of lavender paper, "Magyk has been keeping me informed of your incompetence, Arlithion".

I swear under my breath, this is totally unexpected. Damn Magyk and his interfering.

"The girl has received the finest tuition whilst with Magyk and shows great potential yet you insist on dragging her down a path of criminality? Forcing her to forgo her natural talents and end up spending the rest of her life skulking around as a thug with a dagger?"

"Thorns are the assassins of the horde, not thugs, sir" I reply in a measured tone, barely containing my anger, "and Eleni wants to train to be a Thorn, I am not forcing her".

"Well Magyk claims you are and I damned well know who I believe." he glares at me and I clench my fists and find the urge to punch him almost overwhelming as I glare back.

"I dare you to try, you pathetic little thug, or have you forgotten what happened last time you dared raise a hand to me?".

I remember it all too clearly, although it was many, many years ago. I look down, and clasp my hands behind my back.

"Good. The child is to continue to receive tuition from Magyk and to develop her skills in other areas. Then if she chooses to leave the Vile Thorn, you are not to stand in her way, is that understood?"

I nod, although should the time come that she wants to leave, I'll damned well do my utmost to stop her.

"Good, Magyk has said he will send me regular reports on her progress and I don't want to hear that you have been causing him trouble. Now go leave your damned daggers in your room and change into something more fitting".

"I..er..I am not staying, sir" I reply nervously, "The..er..Mistress has a task for me to..er..attend to for a few days".

He does the usual silence, and I get the usual panic to fill it.

"It's..er..directly from the DarkLady and I really can't sa-"

"Shut up and go, Arlithion." he replies flatly.

I nod and mumble "yes sir" and quickly leave, heading up the drive as fast as I dare, deciding to head to Stormwind to try and find Isabel so we can have that night away in Moonglade that we promised ourselves. I pull my mask up to hide the grin from the prospect of a weeked of Isabel, bourbon and 'thistle.

Back at the Dawnrunner Estate, Eleni is happy to chat away about her travels and how Magyk raised and tutored her, not realising the mention of the former Lord Sunwing as her adoptive father was the very reason the family accepted this half-breed in the first place. However, the manners and social graces instilled by Magyk shine through and she soon delights them with how much at ease she is in their company and how she charms their friends who visit for the usual Saturday evening dinner and social gathering. Sunday starts with a horse ride and picnic overlooking the sea with many of the family, Sunday being the day they all congregate at the family home. In the afternoon, they try to teach her to wield a mace, little success with the heavy two-handed one although she seems to be able to manage with the lighter one-handed one. As she swings the mace at the target dummy with fierce concentration, looks are exchanged by the proud Great-Grandfather and his sons, with the hope of maybe one day training her as a blood knight and away from the path of a Thorn. Late afternoon heralds the sound of Arli's mechanohog being revved on the drive, shattering the calm of the estate.

“Father!”, Eleni runs over and throws her arms around me, “Oh I’ve had such a super time, we did so much and we visited Dalaran and we went shopping and dined out and Gramps is nothing like you said at all, he’s not an evil old ogre one little bit!”

I hug Eleni and avoid looking at Grandfather as I mumble thanks for looking after her and head back to start the bike and load up the four cases she seems to have acquired, as Eleni says her farewells amidst hugs and promises to visit again soon.
Back to top Go down
-Catari

PostSubject: Re: Family business   Thu May 13, 2010 12:29 pm

(( Aww, excellent, there's hope for her still Smile ))
Back to top Go down
Jaelen

PostSubject: Re: Family business   Thu May 13, 2010 12:40 pm

((*Steeples fingers* Oh no there isn't.))
Back to top Go down
Eleni

PostSubject: Re: Family business   Thu May 13, 2010 1:11 pm

(( *looks worried* Uh oh.... ))
Back to top Go down
Drilac'n
Mod
Mod

PostSubject: Re: Family business   Thu May 13, 2010 2:38 pm

((I second Jaelen. There is no hope when the powers of evil are working against you *Nod*))

Skeleton in the closet.
Back to top Go down
arli

PostSubject: Re: Family business   Thu May 13, 2010 2:48 pm

(( And your father is a complete idiot ))
Back to top Go down
Jaelen

PostSubject: Re: Family business   Thu May 13, 2010 3:26 pm

Quote :
(( And your father is a complete idiot ))

Yes. Yes he is.
Back to top Go down
Eleni

PostSubject: Re: Family business   Thu May 13, 2010 4:49 pm

(( Eleni is screwed either way, isn't she ....or is she? Wink ...muahah*coughs*ahaha.. ))
Back to top Go down
arli

PostSubject: Re: Family business   Thu May 13, 2010 6:01 pm

(( The Thorns will look after Eleni, she will be fine! ))
Back to top Go down
Magyk
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Family business   Thu May 13, 2010 6:40 pm

((Not if a certain warlock has anything to say about it.... I'll be back! You'll see!))
Back to top Go down
arli

PostSubject: Re: Family business   Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:49 pm

A Grandchild Deserved

The sound of distant drums then silence. Still half asleep I turn over and get comfortable again in the darkened room, mumbling "kill the trolls and shove their drums up their.."

A knock on my bedroom door drags me into full consciousness and half falling out of bed I shuffle to the door, opening it as I yawn and rub my eyes.

I smile at Antel as I lean on the door "Hey...hope you woke me 'cos you've cooked breakfast?"

She just smiles shaking her head slightly and turns to look down the hallway. "I thought your visitor hammering on the flat door would have awoken you, Arli".

I follow her gaze, my smile fading as I see my Grandfather standing there.

"Well Arli, I will leave you to make your guest welcome while I get back to my studies. You might wish to wear more than just your underclothes however" and with a smile at me, she turns and returns to a small table near the drape-covered windows.

"What time of the day is this to still be in bed you lazy good for nothing idiot, no wonder your life is in such a mess", snaps Grandfather

"Pleasure to see you again, Grandfather", I lean around the doorframe, "I'll just get some..er...more clothes on then maybe we can meet at the Inn?"

"I'll wait here, what I have to say won't take long", comes the short reply

Shutting the door with more force that is probably necessary, I pull open the drapes so that I can find my armour which I know must be on the floor somewhere; it has somehow got very cluttered in the few days since I moved in.

Dressed, and desperately needing a drink, I take a deep breath and attempting to fix a pleasant smile on my face, I open the door. I glance at Antel, but she seems totally absorbed in her books and doesn't even look around. I stride down the hall, in what I hope looks a confident manner, forcing the smile to stay on my face.

"I do hope she is nothing more than your landlady, Arlithion" hisses Grandfather, looking towards Antel. "The human, I presume you remain married to, is enough shame without you taking some abomination of a scourge creation as a mistress!"

I really struggle to keep the smile.

"She is a good friend, sir, and yes I rent a room from her. But I doubt you are here to check out my lodgings. What am I supposed to have done to warrant a visit from you?"

He quickly looks back and glares at me, I feel myself tense up and my smile fade despite my efforts to remain confident in his presence, not wanting to look weak in front of Antel.

"Eleni. Lord Sunwing informs me she has been blessed to have been fathered by some other Blood Elf...as well as informing me of your current whereabouts". He glares across at Antel again, thankfully she still has her back turned. He looks back at me, "I might have realised you were not capable of producing something so pleasant and well mannered as that child".

I open my mouth to speak but can find nothing to say and then quickly close it, aware that it will only draw ridicule from him.

"Anyway, I'm here to tell you that I will continue to treat her as my great-grandchild, despite the lack of a blood-tie to the Dawnrunners. She has been raised as sin'dorei by Lord Sunwing himself and I already think of her as the grandchild that I always deserved." He looks me up and down before continuing "She has great potential, I see only good things ahead for her, with the right guidance and support of course".

"Wh..what am I s-supposed to say?" I stutter, taken aback by his decision.

"Nothing that will be inteligible I imagine, so best for us both if you remain silent. And I'll take that five thousand gold back with me, the sum I gave you to aid in raising Eleni".

An image of my new two-seater flying mount flashes before me as I stare at Grandfather.

"Well, shall we go to the bank now?" he asks

"I..I will arrange for it to be transferred, sir. Best you don't travel all of that way with that much gold on you? Lot of criminals around Silvermoon, sir"

He looks me up and down and nods briefly. "I don't expect it to be returned with interest, so don't you ever claim that I treat you poorly Arlithion".

"No sir, no I won't and the gold will be in your account within a day..or so", I smile my best, very well practiced, reassuring smile.

"It had better be too" he snaps. "And you can tell Anethrax that Eleni will be coming to stay at Dawnrunner Spires at the weekend, staying for a week or so. I don't expect there will be any objections?"

"No sir, I'll clear it with the Thorn Mistress and Deathmaster Orthos", I keep smiling; right now I'll agree to anything to get him to leave.

"I should expect so. Well I have business to conclude in Silvermoon before I return home and you, Arlithion, need to get to the bank and arrange the transfer of my money".

I smile and nod, reaching past him to open the door and all but shove him out as I close it.

As I turn back, I see that Antel is looking at me. I smile and offer to make her a tea as I head for the kitchen, hoping that she didn't hear what he said about her.
Back to top Go down
Eleni

PostSubject: Re: Family business   Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:07 am

(( Hah, nice one! I just love the relationship between Arli and his grandfather Razz And it's so much fun to see things from Arli's point of view! Smile ))

Last edited by Eleni on Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
-Catari

PostSubject: Re: Family business   Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:06 am

(( I think Cat and Arli's grandfather would have been great great freinds ))
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Family business   

Back to top Go down

Family business
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1